All experiences we have had in the past are stored as thoughts. We have thoughts about future experiences that haven’t happened yet. We experience life through our thoughts. We feel our thoughts. We have thoughts based on our previous thoughts. Our thoughts are who we are and the quality of our life.
Note: a thought can be a snapshot or a movie – it can be a scene or several scenes tied together – a moment in time or several moments…
Here is how we change them:
DESCRIPTION OF A PAST OR FUTURE THOUGHT
1. Where are you located in this thought? (Write down your answer.)
2. When is it happening? (Write down your answer.)
3. Who are the important participants in this thought (whether physically present or not)? (Write down your answer.)
4. Describe the thought briefly. (Write it down)
5. Rate this thought on a scale of -10 to +10. (Write down your rating.)
6. What is the most troublesome part of this thought for you? (Write down your answer.)
RECOGNIZING NECESSARY CHANGES IN THE THOUGHT
7. What needs to be different in that thought for it to be more acceptable for you? (Write down your answer.)
DESCRIPTION OF THE CHANGED THOUGHT
8. Write down this new, changed thought as if it were happening right now.
9. Rate this new (changed) thought on a scale of -10 to +10. Rate this on its own merits and not compared to the previous thought. Be honest with yourself. (Write down the new rating.)
10. If the new (changed) thought is rated less than 10, go to step 7 again. Repeat steps 7-10 until the new experience is perfect (rated 10/10).